Tuesday, August 28, 2007

3 more days of shop....

I am actually getting excited about the next year of restraint, improvisation and do it yourself.
I am a bit concerned that i have booked my tickets to halifax and london, and that i will be dining out while there, though hopefully not too much. I think in order to counter ballence this i will extend my year to oct 1 2008. but i will wait and see how successful i am during my travels.

I have been trying to avoid "stocking up" syndrome. I have bought a few extra boxes of my favourite tea and i did buy the fabric to finish my bedroom reno-s while in Edm. I also bought a pattern to sew a dress for the weddings i am attending this winter. I think i will go and buy a few chocolate bars for the freezer, and a couple of bottles of wine for the cupboard.

I know that as the process evolves there will be items that may fall in the grey zone, so i think i will send them out to a vote for friends and followers of the blog.

Also i have a few more items to add to my list of "okay to buy":
  1. I had my ener-guide inspection done on my home today. It has given me a list of things that i can do to improve the efficency of my home. Purchases that are on this list are acceptable. When possible i will attempt to complete work on my own, but some jobs do require training so if i have to hire someone in that instance it is okay.
  2. I can buy new fabric if it is for a particular project and only if there is not a previous unfinished sewing project in the works. in other words no trolling for fabric.
  3. I can buy used stuff for home improvement/yard work. But i can only buy for specific projects. no trolling for lumber, fixit gadgets, or weird lamps.

Is the list of can buys getting too long?

I am trying to decide what foods are concidered okay and what aren't...

Is baby corn in a can okay?

Is Frank's red hot okay?

Is curry paste okay? ( as opposed to whole or individual spices)

Is flavoured yogurt okay? Plain is. I think i need to add my own fruit. Is that excessive?

Hmmm. I am excited for my reverse excess of excessive non-shopping.

Hmmm.

2 comments:

causticmuse said...

Hey Erin!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I'll be watching your progress with your 1 year non-spending challenge with interest! I've limited myself to $20/month and income outside of my regular salary for discretionary purchases like gifts, hair cuts, and minor wants until I'm out of credit card debt myself.

OneMileAtATime said...

Hey Erin,

You can add vanilla extract to plain yogurt... old cult trick :)

Good luck,

Merry-Lynn