Monday, October 29, 2007

Compromise VS Compromising My Values

On Sunday my Aunt and Uncle and Mom were in town to see my grandmother who is palliatively ill.

My mom came into town Saturday, and they were just in for the afternoon from the farm (yes, this is Saskatchewan) They wanted to go out as a family for dinner after a day at grandma's bedside.

At first I told my mom that i would just eat first and join them for conversation and not food, but i guess that suggestion was not well recieved.

They offered to pay, and i explained that it wasn't just about money, and offered to make pizza and that they could come here to my place to eat. I would even "let them" bring a bottle of wine!

But they siad that was too much work for me ( I would not have offered if that was the case!) so we "compromised".

We changed venue from Tony Roma's (which i don;t really like even when buying EVERYTHING) to a locally owned place. I drank water and had a bowl of in house made tomato & cilantro soup. I was quite satisfied, we enjoyed our time together and I even had a chance to explain the crazy actions of their urban neice. (me)

I guess i had to realise that the reason i was doing it was not to avoid socialization, especially at at a time when famioly needs to be together, and that the value of my family was more important than that of my no-restaurant-food values.

And I will admit the soup was great, it was good to laugh instead of worry, and it was also great not to have to clean up afterwards!

No comments: