Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Late night power surge


Well the journey of reduced consumption continues quite happily! I have just finished an almost manic house cleaning binge. My grandma was discharged from hospital today, so I visited with her after work. I got home at about 8pm, made dinner and a pot of soup for the next few days. did the dishes. the washed the floors, then hung a curtain, beat the area rugs, put away books, and generally tidied. the un-kemptness of my life has once again been repressed!

I have just finished sewing a new skirt, making a big pot of minestrone soup and have steadfastly given up my car for the winter. I have cancelled the insurance ( knowingly) as of Oct 1, and have bought a bus pass. I am becoming more active with the Regina Car Share Co-op, and will be helping with the process of incorporation, and putting together a budget with my obsessive spread sheet skills...

This weekend I hosted 1 diner, I made Saag Paneer and Dhal, and we made an apple pie from the great apples i brought back from Nova Scotia. I also enjoyed dinner at my friend Amy's who had a lovely spread of Indian, Japanese, and Jewish delicacies!
Saturday was My Grandma's 82nd Birthday. She was unfortunately still in the hospital, but the nurses and other staff helped with the festivities, singing and enjoying a chocolate oatmeal cupcake, with Chocolate whip cream frosting...

I am not intending to turn this blog into a culinary documentary, but it seems to have currently turned down that route. I find that cooking and food prep have changed during this process. Perhaps because i need to plan more, or because i am becoming more conscientious about how, where and the context of the production of each ingredients. I think that these qualities of food have become a defining factor for those foods. I look at food that comes in plastic packages and it gives me a mini panic attack. I worry about what has been put into the food: ie preservatives. I worry about the distance that the ingredients have traveled, and the distance that the finished product has traveled. I am worried about the way that foods like sugar cane or beets and corn and other foods that end up being processed into refined sugars are encouraging the conversion of more and more land to intensive agriculture... I worry that people are not worried about these things as well...

I think part my current food blogging, is that cooking has become more of an art or a craft again. It feels good to make a lovely soup that is well flavoured, colourful, healthy and unique.

well this late night energy surge is finally coming to an end... I guess sleep will make tomorrow an easier day!

cheers!
xox
E

No comments: