Friday, October 5, 2007


I am back from my vacation, and I think I was very successful in keeping my consumption to a minimum. The greatest proportion of spending was on eating and restaurants. In Halifax I was staying with friends so breakfast was always at home. All meals out were at truly Nova Scotian restaurants. Had Chowder and fish cakes out by Hubard’s and a chicken burger at The Chicken Burger. Mussels and gingerbread out at Peggy’s Cove. Smoked Salmon and cider at the Triangle. Sushi out in Good old Dartmouth. The only “souvenir” that I brought back from Halifax other than fond memories and photos was a 20 lb bag of Gravenstein apples. They are sweet and tart, great for eating and cooking.
In London my hostel had free breakfast, scones, and cereal. I would pack a snack of a scone and jam (this felt very British!) and avoided general snacking in the streets. I ate the required fish and chips with mushy peas. I had curry on brick lane, and enjoyed a falafel at the farmers market.
Lots of people have asked if I bought clothes in London, but I didn’t, I looked and found a few things I liked, but they were from big generic shops that I could likely find at home or something quite similar. Most things I saw were not unique enough to shake the feeling of shopping just for the sake of shopping. I did buy a new pair of glasses, which are getting new lenses this week. So I think they are my London Fashion Find. I also bought Tea from Harrods, a little wooden London Block set, a bottle of gin, some Stilton Cheese, and a Tin of cookies for people at work. I bought a Book of “Banksy” Graffiti art, and a little vase at the design show that is glazed with 70 yr old roof thatch from a town in the UK. My suitcase was easy to close, and I had only taken a little carry on one in the 1st place.

Sorry for the gapsin reporting!

I think the biggest challenge right now is not seeming like a cheep-skate… or not caring that people see this as simply a way to not spend money… oh well! SO far so good!

No comments: