Tuesday, October 16, 2007

wanting? needing? neither!

I have found the thing that makes me want to cheet... It is music... or events in general... I catch myself trying to convince myself that a concert has no foot print... and why, if i can attend 3 free concerts, can't I pay for 3?

I know that my rules are not like laws of nature. That technically there is nothing truely stopping me in the way that there is gavity stoping me from just choosing to levitate.

But then i think that the part of the point of this is (re)learning the difference between want and need. It truely is a want. But it is a pretty good want... and by good i mean, ethically and pleasingly good.

But then i also believe that supporting artists and the arts in general should be a priority...

I have found an outlet for missing new CDs... CBC Radio 3.... Canadian Music, free, and you can build playlists so you have on-demand Music... Pretty awesome... Have the good ol' lap top hooked to the stereo, and rock on!

Perhaps this has become a bit about being cheap-o... have i started hording my money when others a hording things they have purchased?


Now i by no means wish this delema a mean that i wish to stop the Buy-nothing year... It is liberating really. and it makes me feel better about the future of the universe... even though i recognise that i am not really making a dent...

I don't miss shopping for clothes. Sewing them is more rewarding (thought their have been a few disasters...)

I don't miss premade foods, except when i get home late from work and am hungary. But the solution i have found for this is perhaps a bit of a cheat... At the Ukrainian CO-OP by my house i have found locally-home-made pierogis. they are non-processed and part of the local food concept. This winter i hope to make some from scratch and freeze them, but until then, i think they are pretty awesome. I like to hope someone's little granny made them.

I don't miss driving. I have found that the bus makes me prioritise my time and plan my trips. I think in the end it saves time, because i don't end up going back and forth between ends of town in a disorganised, and indecisive retail furvor. I really enjoy my time on the bus. It helps me plan my day, and de-compress after work. I plan meals, I plan analysis (for work), I eavesdrop.

It is wrong, but that part is kind of fun! Makes life seem normal.

I have been walking every where that i don't take my bike or the bus... I think my pants are already fitting better! ( yay free bonus!) This weekend I walked all over the city. Walked with a friend around the lake in the afternoon on Monday, and then again with other pals and their dog. Great for the general state of mind.

One other thing that feels good about this process is that it is seeming to bring out the sharing side of people, I have a friend that is passing on his few days old globe and mail. ( not that i got this paper before, but due to the buy nothing thing we had a conversation that lead to me reusing his) I have found a group called full-circle (like free cycle) where people can post what they need, or what they have, and all is exchanged for free. I am hoping to find a new home for my fridge, and am planning on replacing it with a smaller, and more eficient one. There is no need for me to have such a Huge (normal sized i guess, but for 1 person, huge) one. So if the fridge finds a home i will be (Gasp) buying a new littler one.

Okay, well i need to hit the hey.

I Hope all is well with you, and that this ramble will not drive you to drink!
CHeers!
Erin

No comments: